It is well known that remodeling the kitchen can be one of the best ways to add value to your home. Replacing your kitchen cabinets can give the room a fresh new look, yet this option can be extremely expensive. Kitchen cabinet refurbishing, on the other hand, can give you similar results at a fraction of the cost. Let’s look at some of the benefits of refacing or reglazing your kitchen cabinets and some of the best ways to do this.
Benefits of Refinishing Kitchen Cabinets
Refinishing your kitchen cabinets is a simple and cost effective way to renovate your kitchen. There are some good reasons to consider doing this.
- Savings -the cost of refinishing is substantially less than replacing kitchen cabinets. In fact, it often costs about one quarter the price.
- Convenience -This is a job most people can do themselves, saving them the cost and trouble of hiring outside help. This way, you can have use of your kitchen much sooner than if you were replacing your kitchen cabinets.
- Customization -You can create just about any look you want when you refinish or reglaze your cabinets. This allows you to experiment with a new style or perhaps copy a design you have seen online, in a magazine or on television.
This is a job most homeowners can do over the weekend. The process only involves a few steps:
- Remove the cabinet doors.
- Strip them down.
- Prime, paint and/or stain the doors.
- Strip, paint and/or stain the frames.
- Install new hardware.
- Put the doors back in place.
Much of the time involved is not for labor but for the paint or stain to dry. If you don’t want to do the job yourself, you could always hire someone to do it for you. Even in this case, it would be a lot cheaper than having new kitchen cabinets installed.
Choose the Right Style
While refinishing your kitchen cabinets is not a difficult job, it takes some planning. You want to choose the colors and style that is most suitable for the look you want. You can do some research and seek kitchen cabinets that you find appealing and recreate this look as much as possible. This is a simple task that can save you thousands of dollars while giving your kitchen a great new look.